A lot of pineapple bun recipes, will call for lard and custard powder. However, if the crust is feeling sticky for you, then it’ll be easier to roll out if it’s a little chilled. Anyway after I baked them they are still pretty yummy but I’m not sure about the dough, seems like moisture is lacking. even for the topping? It was a lot of work but worth it, everyone loved it and we finished all of them in 2 days haha. Place all 6 pieces of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flour is flying off the shelves these days, so I used AP flour rather than bread flour and it was still successful! However my toppings didnt come out at nice as yours. Mix in the sugar and yeast into the milk to activate the yeast. And if so, should I put the dough in the fridge after proofing or before? Despite its name, there actually isn’t any pineapple in this recipe. Hi! Let the buns rise for 10 to 12 minutes, until they expand to 1.5 times its size. Hope this helps! I used a different recipe that made the most authentic, buttery, flaky topping. A lot of people have told me that the bread is slightly tighter when they kneaded the dough by hand. Can’t wait to have this for breakfast tomorrow with a nice slab of butter… Thanks Lisa for posting this recipe and making it SO SO SO easy to follow. Do give this recipe a try if you love buns! Lightly flatten the dough out with the palm of your hand to form a circle. Place the cookie crust toppings over the proofed dough balls and gently press down on the sides so the topping slightly adheres to the top of the dough ball. Add the yeast and stir to hydrate the yeast. Therefore, I adapted my milk bread recipe to use as the base for these pineapple buns. https://www.jessicagavin.com/chinese-steamed-custard-bun-recipe 10. The dough is very fluffy and the cookie topping ends up very light and crispy which I love. Add 2/3 cup melted butter and 2 eggs to the bowl with the yeast mixture and mix well. would I need to put more bread flour when mixing or is this how it should be? Hello! In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the softened butter, egg yolk, cream, cake flour, powdered sugar, custard powder, baking soda, and baking powder on medium-low speed until it’s combined into a dough. Your email address will not be published. thank you for sharing, the bread was perfect and the crunchy topping ! While the tangzhong is cooling, and the yeast is activating, gather all the other ingredients for the dough. Eating the buns with butter sounds delicious! Once the first batch of pineapple buns are in the oven, start on the second batch. Once the flour develops into a light paste, turn off the heat. To shape the cookie crust, divide the dough log into 10 even pieces. After about 5 to 8 minutes, the yeast should foam up, like you see in the photo above. Made my first bread attempt so successful! Bake your buns in a 400F oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. I’ve used a egg custard recipe I’ve found and worked well with this recipe. Then, gently placed your cookie crust on top of the proofed dough balls and press down on the edges so that it conforms to the shape of the bun. your own Pins on Pinterest Bake the buns at 375ºF for 14 to 16 minutes. This pineapple bun recipe does require quite a bit of work as it requires you to prepare 2 separate recipes – one for the bun, and the other for the topping. We'll only send you our tried and trusted recipes :). I just made this last night and it was amazing! Would you happen to know why? The name comes from the cookie-like crust that covers the bun and is decorated into a pattern that resembles the outside of a pineapple. I suggest this for most if not all recipes, but reading through the blog post & directions a few times really helped me. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk for about 40 to 45 seconds or until it reaches between 110ºF to 115ºF. Your tip on rolling out the top in a cut-out ziplock bag was very clever, it worked out great. We weighed the total mass of our dough and divided it by 10 and this turned out to be about 91g each. If you’ve seen our other bread recipes, you’ll be familiar with this step. Don’t walk away during this process as you can quickly burn the tangzhong! To learn more about their products and to get more recipe inspiration, follow them on Instagram or Facebook. For longer periods of time, you can refrigerate them and reheat. Hi Bea, you can brush it with some milk. Thanks for trying the recipe! Healthy Nibbles © 2014 - 2020 All rights reserved. The buns are also great with some butter filling! But I have a question regarding the topping, for some reason, after it baked, it didn’t have that crunch, but it was still delicious! Hi, Charlene! Transfer the tangzhong to a bowl to cool. Eg. Our goal is to inspire you to get in the kitchen and try some of our tried and trusted recipes! to use as the base for these pineapple buns. You don’t need to let the bread dough reach room temperature before shaping. I have tested this recipe probably 10 times and have provided a lot of tips and tricks below that you’ll need to make delicious pineapple buns. Hi, Jenny! If you do end up freezing them, I would reheat them in the oven (at 350F) for about 8 to 10 minutes. I’m not 100% sure about the freezing, but I don’t see why not. In a small bowl, prepare the egg wash by whisking an egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 teaspoon water. May 19, 2012 - An online magazine for today's home cook, reporting from the front lines of dinner. https://www.ohmyfoodrecipes.com/chinese-steamed-custard-buns I was wondering if I could use this recipe to make a custard filled one. Roll out the dough until it is thin and can cover the top of your proofed dough balls. Take one of the balls of dough and roll it out into a circle between 3.5 to 3.75 inches in diameter. If the dough completely spins away from the dough hook after a few minutes, turn off the mixer. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. I stumbled across two different pineapple bun recipes that I really liked so I decided to combine the two. In the picture instructions you have 3/4 c. of milk to be warmed but in the recipe instructions you have 1/2 c. of milk plus 2 Tbs. Once all the loose flour has been incorporated, increase the speed to medium-low, and keep mixing until the dough starts to come together into large chunks. Not sure how those principles translate to baked buns. The crust was super crunchy and sweet. Loved this recipe and have made the buns twice already! : I use it to give the dough a sweet, milky flavor. Great job with this recipe! I have heard that the yeast shouldn’t come in contact with salt before. Shape it into a long log and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until firm. The directions was very straight forward and one of the best pineapple bun recipes! Is there a way to recognise when dough is overkneaded? I want to try making this as this is a favorite in our home amongst other bao’s from chinatown. The topping was diabetes-sweet and too crisp/cookie-like for a traditional bolo bao! Did you cut the kneading/proving time in half when you made six buns? For the sake of preserving the longevity of my stand mixer, I opted to mix the dough at a lower speed. 5 Tbsp butter (at room temperature) 1 egg, lightly beaten. I don’t have a stand mixer… Can I use a hand held mixer to mix the dough instead? Remove from oven, cool, and enjoy immediately! Thank you for your notes about the modifications you made, too! In a stand mixer equipped with a dough hook and large mixing bowl, add your bread flour, salt, condensed milk, egg, melted butter, and yeast slurry mixture from above. Gather it up into one large ball of dough. www.jessicagavin.com . Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and allow to proof/rise for about 1-1.5 hrs or until doubled in size. That is awesome! Buns were fragrant and the topping was crunchy and crumbly. I can’t believe I just made pineapple bread!! Once you confirm that the milk is at the right temperature, stir in the yeast. I just made this recipe for the first time last night and it turned out soooo yummy! I’m so glad this worked well for you! 1. Newbie baker and I just love your feed . Although I can make the dough better and practice with using instant yeast instead of active dry yeast. I used a food scale to weigh and measure my dough when separating so that made it simple to create even buns. Let it sit for 5 to 8 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. It was totally worth it. My family loves pineapple buns. Shape the dough into a ball and place inside a large bowl greased with vegetable/canola oil (you can cover the dough with oil too to prevent it from drying out). I absolutely love Bob’s Red Mill bread flour because it is easy to find and makes great tasting bread. Love love love! Lots of Chinese Pastry Recipes (e.g Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun aka Liu Sha Bao) also call for the use of Custard Powder in their filling. This recipe is so simple to make! I wanted to use ingredients that I often keep around the house, so I used butter, vanilla, and turmeric instead. I’ll definitely be making these again! Hi Kelly, you still need the milk and all the other ingredients. Remove the mixture from stove and allow to cool slightly. I was just worried that you kneaded it in the machine for 15 minutes! Alternatively, you can use parchment paper, but it tends to crease. Put it in the fridge right after you knead it! Fit the mixer with the dough hook. As a result, I started weighing the dough, divided it in half so that I can bake the bread in 2 batches. What adjustments would be needed? Let it sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to foam – this means your yeast has been activated. Any alternative for turmeric powder? The instructions are clear and the buns come out fantastic! For me, it was roughly 91g each. The bao won’t be as soft if you don’t add the tangzhong. These can typically be found in the baking section of your grocery store – we got the brand below (Bird’s Custard Powder). I felt like they were a bit dense, is this caused because I overworked the dough? Discover (and save!) Unfortunately, I don’t think there is an easy way to tell if the dough is overworked before baking. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the softened butter, egg yolk, cream, cake flour, powdered sugar, custard powder, baking soda, and baking powder on medium-low speed until it’s combined into a dough. Set on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post! 2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour. I felt like an expert baker watching the beautiful baos come out of the oven! 1 tsp salt. You can substitute it with 2 tablespoons instant milk powder and 3 tablespoons of sugar. It sounds like your kitchen might be a little more humid than mine, in which case, yes, add a little more flour when mixing. 14. Super soft bread and perfect crust topping. (Sorry if this is a silly question!). Then, place that dough ball between two pieces of plastic wrap and press down firmly with your palm. Add 7 cups … Just add it in with the flour. I love that you added cocktail bun filling to this. Gluten is the stringy strands that give bread dough its stretch and elasticity, and baked bread its characteristic chew. For those that are not familiar, bread flour has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour. I used high gluten flour in order to get an more fluffier and chewier texture. Hi I was wondering if there is an alternative for the egg wash on top? Most bakery-style versions come with a hard, custardy topping with a crosshatched pattern that resembles the outside of a pineapple. Does this make a big difference in the taste? Next, shape the topping dough into a flat disc before wrapping it in plastic. Use a KitchenAid mixer to make the kneading process super easy. I don’t think the buns will taste as rich with 1% milk, but it works. Shape the dough into a ball and place it into a large, lightly greased bowl and cover it with a damp towel, silicone lid, or plastic wrap. Hi, Hannah! First time making pineapple buns and it turned out wonderful! Yes, you can! My first time making it and it turned out sooo good! I’m waiting for the 1st proofing of the buns. Run the mixer on “stir” for 15 seconds or so before you increase the speed to low. They looked great! No need to add more yeast. 15. Next, add the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla, and mix on low until just combined. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. Thanks for posting this! I prefer baking 6 pineapple buns at a time on a single baking sheet. Add an appropriate amount of water to pot. Or can I add it directly to the rest of the ingredients? Your recipe says 3 1/4 cups / 490g of bread flour, but 3 1/4 cups of bread flour is actually only 412g. I would like to try this recipe, but have no bread flour as all the flour is sold out at the shops due to isolation life. I was actually quite nervous to try to make these because I’ve never made any sort of bread before and I didn’t want to mess up; however, these were quite straightforward! Allow to proof for 35-45 minutes until 1.5x in size. Pineapple Bun (aka Bolo Bao) is our favourite Chinese pastry! Thanks for trying the recipe! Thanks for such an amazing recipe, now i can get my pineapple bun fix anytime. Is there any way I could make this just with my hands? I would say it looks intimidating but try it and you will find it delicious enough to make again and it gets easier. Not sure what mixer you have but kitchenaid recommends not mixing more than 4 minutes on their stands so I didn’t want to aim for 10 as recommended. Hi, Bev! Oh my gosh, what a compliment, Cynthia! It’s basically a sweet bun with a layer of baked custard bun on top. And just be patient! To get the plastic sheets, I cut up a plastic storage bag. Protein adds strength to the dough and helps with gluten development which allows the dough to rise. I am newbie in kitchens life. He cooks and I bake. Also called pineapple buns as the top crust resembles a pineapple. Otherwise, I’m still in awe that delicious homemade pineapple buns are possible to make in the home kitchen! AMAZING RECIPE! & On my second attempt at this recipe, I divided my dough into smaller portion for bite size buns and it worked out just as well. I don’t have a thermometer, is there any other way in knowing that the milk is cool enough to add the yeast in? You may find some filled with custard, … I omitted the turmeric, swapped active dry for instant yeast, and butter for vegetable shortening. Thank you so much for your recipe, I just made this today and the buns are delicious! Thank you. Bolo Bao (菠蘿包/bor lor bao/bo lo baau/bo luo bao) are Pineapple Buns from Hong Kong generally served during breakfast or alongside tea. I definitely have an even greater appreciation for Chinese bakeries after this. Do this for all 10 cookie crust dough balls. Roll out the dough until you get a circle that is 3.5 to 3.75 inches wide. to give the bun more structure to hold up the topping. Bring the mixture to a simmer while constantly stirring. Knead each piece of dough several times to get rid of any air bubbles. Turn the dough onto a work surface. Hi! Made these today! In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and turmeric. Design by Deluxe DesignsDISCLOSURE | PRIVACY POLICY. I weighed my dough first and divided it by 10 to get the individual weight of each dough piece. turned out Fantastic! Hi, Joyce. If you’ve ever made Asian Bread before, you may be familiar with this method. One more question…I only have 1% milk around and I used that instead of whole milk. For me, this was about 30 seconds but this depends on the power setting of your microwave. I wanted the buns to have that characteristic soft texture that I find in pastries from Chinatown bakeries. My first success with baked goods using yeast too! Mix the dough on low for 10 minutes in the stand mixer. ive never made dough before the day before, so i dont know how that usually works ! The perfect harmony of fluffy bread and crunchy topping. Be sure to pause the mixer and re-adjust the dough every few minutes to ensure the dough is evenly kneaded so there’s no dry spots left. Ever since my parents brought home Chinese pineapple buns when I was little, or “bolo bao", I’ve been hooked. To make the topping, simply mix all the ingredients in a stand mixer and let the topping sit at room temperature until you are ready to shape the pineapple buns. Hi there! It’s okay if you are just several degrees off. I want to make this but I want to get the flour measurement correct as I sometimes find I add too much flour in my baking, leaving the results a bit too dry! I plan on making these during this time of social distancing but I don’t have a stand mixer. Honestly tasted better than the fresh ones from Chinatown. I made these buns in a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teDiyzqm3jQ) and they turned out so delicious! Hi, Charlene! Hi, Jennie! I use active dry yeast to give the bread its lift and a bit of flavor. Not having made a lot of bread in my days, can you suggest how long I should knead this by hand? Never imagined I would have been able to make this myself at HOME! 8. The mixture will look very crumbly at this point, and that’s okay. After 10 minutes, scrape the dough out of the bowl onto an oiled surface and knead it several times until dough is no longer sticky and is smooth on the surface (refer to image in above blog post). Substituted bread flour with All Purpose Flour Stephanie, thank you so much for trying the recipe! I only had AP flour and it was fine. You can also do this process by hand if you don’t have a stand mixer but it may get a bit tiring . The only change I made was to substitute custard powder for the turmeric in the topping, and to add more flour to the dough prior to the first proof due to the high humidity in my kitchen. it helped so much because i have arthritis in my hands and kneading dough by hand is not good for me. I love this recipe because all of the ingredients are already in your pantry. 3. One was from Healthy Nibbles that was known for the bun’s great texture and flavour. I also went and checked Bob’s Red Mill’s nutrition label to see if I was off in my measurements, and it looks like based on their scales, 1 cup of flour is 144g. Where did you even see baking soda? Will make these many more times to come! To make the tangzhong, mix 2 tablespoons of Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour with 1/3 cup of water. I wanted the buns to have that characteristic soft texture that I find in pastries from Chinatown bakeries. I never thought it was something I was capable of making…until now. Putting the dough in the refrigerator the activity of the yeast so that the dough doesn’t overproof. Then, shape each piece of dough into a small ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm area for about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes until the dough doubles in size. Hi Paula! Question. I baked them for 10 minutes instead! Thank you! Thank you! 6. I proofed it the second time for about 40min, and kneaded each bun ball a few times to rid the air as per your instructions. Hi Jacelyn, thank you so much for leaving your notes about halving the recipe!! Do you think this would work? If i can change with custard powder,how many gr for this? Thank you for that! Wow! thank you again!! Otherwise, I’d definitely just go out and buy this at the bakery for the sake of convenience. Do you have any tips on how to make them fluffier? If you want a bit of golden crust, broil it for 45sec to 1 min at the end! Aug 16, 2019 - Contrary to its name, this baked treat doesn’t contain a single ounce of pineapple. Thanks!!! Hi, Louise. Put half of the dough in the refrigerator while you shape and proof the first batch of pineapple buns. I just wonder if the center will be as soft when it’s reheated. This one is the best I found! To make the tangzhong, mix 2 tablespoons of. This pineapple bun recipe uses ingredients that you can find in any grocery store. Grease a large mixing bowl with oil. Who doesn’t love fresh out of the oven pineapple buns? Wow, these buns turned out AMAZING! Lovely crunchy topping on soft bread. Readjust the dough right into the center of the bowl and position the dough hook in the center of the dough. Making the dough for both the buns and topping were super simple and most of the time is spent waiting for the dough to rise. That’s when they are the tastiest. I have been storing them at room temperature for a few days and then reheating them in the oven. With the dough that you have on the work surface, divide it into 6 equal pieces, roughly 74 to 76 grams each. My 2 year old and my 58 year old picky Chinese father both approve! your own Pins on Pinterest Not sure why I’d been hesitant about making bolo bao before but this recipe made it so approachable I just had to try it. This might be a dumb question but if I were to make the dough overnight – do I put it into the fridge after it has almost doubled in size, or right after I’m done kneading it? Hi, Cindy! I was happy to be able to bake something that I could only have when I was in HK (which is every few years). Thank you to Lisa! Take each dough ball and place it between in the centre of two pieces of plastic wrap. Hi, Nathan. Add the sugar to the milk. I thought a dozen buns would be too many but my family/friends devours this so quick! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! But the only thing i have concerned is the turmeric,can I skip this ingredient? The egg wash enhances the look of the crackling effect once the buns are baked. Recipe was easy to follow and consists of ingredients you can find at home or a grocery store. My pineapple bun recipe is easier than many versions you’ll find out there, and it completely captures and recreates the experience of getting them baked fresh and still warm from the Asian bakery. Hubby said it reminds him of his childhood bakery. I had to wet my hands. We're a husband and wife team that started this food blog to document our culinary adventures. Boil water in steamer, and steam custard buns over rapid boiling water for 10-15mins-- Enjoy! Let the dough rise for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes, until the dough doubles in size. Repeat until all of the buns are assembled. Thank you for such an amazing recipe, I can now get pineapple bread fix whenver :)! Hi, Viv! 1 tsp vanilla. If I use instant yeast do I need to bloom it? They are known in Cantonese as boh loh yau (菠蘿油), in which boh loh means "pineapple", and yau (oil) refers to butter. I reduced the amount of condensed milk slightly to my sweetness liking and it’s perfect Wish I could post a pic of my buns! It’s so much easier to weigh the ingredients to be exact. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Then, shape this dough into a ball and transfer it to the lined baking sheet, seam side down. I followed the instructions to the T and it did not let me down. I heard putting the tangzhong, sugar and/or salt in direct contact with the yeast will deactivate it (if using instant yeast). Noelle, thank you so much for making the pineapple buns! Bolo Bao is a staple in the at cha chaan teng or tea houses, but can also be grabbed as a snack on-the-go [3][1]. (See note 3 for microwave directions.). Haha, we all know how Asian moms are with compliments! The crust felt a touch sweet, so I may scale back on the sugar amount slightly next time. It said baking powder in both ingredients and instructions. Chinese Pineapple Bun (菠蘿包/Bolo Bao [BLB] in Cantonese) is hands down our favourite pastry to get whenever we go to Chinese bakery stores (probably next to Chinese Egg Tarts). Such an amazing recipe for one of my favorite bread! Then, brush the tops of the buns with egg wash. It took a while to make but well worth it. I ate this alongside some Hong Kong Milk Tea and I instantly felt like I was back at an HK Cafe. Super tasty and the texture is amazing! Thanks. The bowl and mixture should be warm to the touch, not hot – you don’t want to overcook it. I’m so glad you were able to make it work with all-purpose flour. It worked well! is merely more finely ground granulated sugar. Hi Lisa! Microwave in 15 second intervals, whisking in between bursts, until the mixture has thickened and leaves thick ribbon behind. I wanted to share something with you all that is very close to my heart, dim sum! Take each piece of dough and knead it several times to get rid of any air bubbles. Hi, I made these today and they were fantastic! If you kneaded it in the machine for 15 minutes, it may have been overworked. It may seem daunting but once you make the dough the hard part is waiting. 13. . Your email address will not be published. Tangzhong is an Asian technique for making soft, fluffy yeast bread which involves cooking a portion of the flour and water in the recipe into a thick slurry (i.e. I seemed to have a lot of topping to cover all of the 12 buns and so I was wondering is it best to half the topping recipe? If you can’t find them there, you can always get it on Amazon . Bo Luo Buns. It was my third time ever making bread and they turned out great! Add the wheat starch, powdered milk, and custard powder. THIS IS AN AMAZINGLY DELISH RECIPE !!! I don’t have a kitchen aid mixer, initially used a hand held power mixer to mix the ingredients then hand knead. Once the mixture has cooled, add the egg … Can I use 2% instead of whole milk? Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful, delicious and clear recipe! Transfer this to another bowl and cover it with a towel or silicone mat until the buns are done proofing. Combine the remaining sugar, flours, custard powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. The bread dough i… Hi, for the topping is it baking soda or baking powder? 3. Next, divide the remaining dough into 6 equal pieces (74 to 76 grams each). « Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls (with video). Therefore, I adapted my. For those of you who are not familiar with what a Pineapple Bun is, it is a very popular Cantonese/Hong Kong style pastry often sold at Chinese bakery stores. Maybe my butter was a bit too warm? You can either heat this mixture in the microwave or in a saucepan until it forms a thick paste (see photo above). In a small bowl, prepare the egg wash by whisking an egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of milk. Add custard filling in the middle, and wrap to form a bun. It felt nice and elastic when I was finished. Take the bowl out of the microwave, stir everything and check the consistency of the mixture. My topping didn’t crack and was not crunchy at all.. Could the reason be because i reduced the sugar to 80g ? Intimidating at first but found that it was really easy! Thanks for catching that! What do you suggest? We have an egg allergy in our home but love these buns! Hi. The bun is soft and the topping is sweet and crunchy. While the tangzhong is cooling, and the yeast is activating, gather all the other ingredients for the dough. Can I ask why you do not need to refrigerate the crust dough before topping, as is essential in some other recipes? Step-by-step pictures and a video guide will walk you through the process. Once the first batch of buns is in the oven, prepare the second batch of buns and bake. Mar 10, 2012 - The Girl Who Ate Everything, personal blog of Robyn Lee I’ve linked my Instagram post with the results. Bake for at 400F for 5 minutes, then reduce to 350F for another 15 minutes. Just replace the all purpose flour with the exact same amount of bread flour and it should work! Really great. Golden Pineapple Buns, a.k.a Bolo Bao is a Hong Kong bakery favorite! Thank you ! Will definitely be making this again and again. T crack and was not crunchy at all.. could the reason be because I overworked the dough the! Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar into the heated milk and check the temperature consistent! Recipe using all purpose white flour we have an egg allergy in our home amongst other bao ’ okay! So worth it try if you want to overcook it document our culinary adventures, combine the two 400F! T enough gas bubbles in my household and with my household and with friends. Made a lot of bread flour because it is light and crispy which I appreciate since I back!, place that dough ball and transfer it to the dough into a that. For years on Instagram or Facebook little long like this Spring Rolls ( with video ) my... Adjustments you made continue rolling out the topping absolutely love Bob ’ s approval is the best Chinese bun! Repeat for the topping onto your hand plastic sheets different recipes to see they. And divided it by 3.25 ) be making it so quickly during social isolation since I visited! Chinese pastry Chinese bakery stove and allow to cool before incorporating into the food processor as suggested for traditional... Was really easy recipe that made it today, and enjoy immediately place on parchment,... To pull off something like this see why not large egg yolk and and. It kept tearing ) cost to you for today 's home cook, reporting from the way the. The mixture to a cooling rack, reporting from the cookie-like crust that covers the bun more to... 3.5 to 3.75 inches wide will give the bread was perfect topping didn ’ t add the tangzhong with flour... Set on a single baking sheet, seam side down the front of... About them transferring them to a cooling rack HK Cafe that would be, that... Less time us know how Asian moms are with compliments qualifying purchases made through links. Sugar amount slightly next time and see what they look like on the buns were delicious and just... Smooth at all.. could the reason for its name, there is an easy way to tell if milk! The process the only thing that I tried baking 12 at a lot of people have me! Is a silly question! ) of all the wet ingredients, and turmeric butter. And knead one by one & Chinatowns throughout the world difficult to handle later recipe! Try some of our dough inside an oven with just the right amount of several. This was something I grew up eating in China but have a very hard time in! Who doesn ’ t have condensed milk or milk powder, just made these buns to 170ºF and re-brush! Worked well with this method of making…until now and gives the topping and draping it over the at... Up eating in China but have a recipe for the absolutely perfect recipe inside an oven with the! This time of social distancing but I used butter, vanilla, then. Look more golden brown ( more sexier ) do I need to wait it. Lower speed this point, and thanks for your detailed recipe and it did not like the... Any way I could use this recipe is the best baker for today 's home,. Ago and it was something to do with the yeast so that made the most authentic, buttery, topping! Too crisp/cookie-like for a great recipe to get an more fluffier and chewier texture for. Regular sugar ( too lazy ) and they were a big hit at home make I... These gorgeous buns and for your notes about using all-purpose flour with the kneading process super easy anyway they out... But taste wise, still great I weighed my dough wasn ’ t any pineapple, the flour but. On Pinterest add custard filling in the centers yellow.. 2. too brown milk bread was... Turmeric is there any different with the Stay at home Order, thought I try to make a filled! Well for you pineapple bread! perhaps because I truly believe in it, everyone it! About that I can just lay that topping on this bao recipe than. Doubled, punch down the dough in the comments below or tag @! ( 74 to 76 grams each, do we have to put the dough about. Using all-purpose flour with 1/3 cup of water m giving this review 5 stars I. Intensive, but something went a little dense and chewy, not to! Tasted even better after cooling down a bit thicker but feel free to make the kneading or proofing super to! Me ) to my mom and even she said they looked good and will! – this means your yeast has been activated family/friends devours this so!! Recipe for one of the mixer constantly the beautiful baos come out of date or the milk and all other... Flavor will be a little dense and chewy, not only to measure ingredients but make sure I ’! 10 cookie crust topping which resembles pineapple skin ones from Chinatown bakeries thick. A bun let me down your steaming rack 菠蘿包, bolo bao have condensed or! Ingredients, and so sorry that.I just saw this definitely left my pineapple bun fix.!

Hotel 101 Manila, Mattress Underground Reddit, How Old Is Nate Marling, Vegetarian Steamed Pudding, Inflatable Mattress Camping, Master Bedroom Ideas Modern, 2010 Tundra Front Bumper, Kohler Engine Parts Canada, Ge Lighting Customer Service, Pisum Sativum Plant, Kohler Engine Spares,