Delicious. One recipe fits into two pint jars filled 3/4 full. Put the puddings in a steamer over a saucepan or stand them on a trivet or a folded tea towel in the saucepan. 100g plain flour 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda 1tsp of mixed spice 100g suet 100g raisins 100g currants 100g potato, grated This is almost exactly like my late grandmother's recipe a family favorite for generations now. It’s a little reminiscent of a super moist carrot cake, though the sweet and warm vanilla sauce poured over the top is a totally different experience … Add to pudding & mix lightly. Grease a 1.5-quart ovenproof bowl with butter. Remove from the mold. You have to be sure to only fill them 2/3 full as it swells a LOT. Add flour and spices and stir just until blended. Personally i thought it was great without the sauce which i didn't make. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. That was made by boiling water and adding it slowly to dry ingredients with whisk. either way It is my fav Xmas gift to give away. I make this every year & I add about a cup of mixed peel (sometimes called citron) currants & a cup of grated apple. Rich and yummy, and real spicy. Info. This has been my family's traditional Christmas dessert for over 50 years. it is worth the trouble In a large mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, molasses, and eggs. Cover the pan, and bring to a simmer. Dec 18, 2019 - Explore Gayle Bodnarchuk's board "Steamed Carrot Pudding", followed by 208 people on Pinterest. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 cup of sugar until light and … ... with mixer, chill.Pudding freezes well and can be made ahead of time. 552 calories; protein 3.6g; carbohydrates 93.8g; fat 19.9g; cholesterol 58.2mg; sodium 295.5mg. Cover the pot and bring the water to a simmer. Serve with warm lemon sauce. the Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Easy to find ingredients for the carrot pudding. She adds 1/2 cup softened butter to the mix to help things stick together and she said that you should mix the potatoes and soda together and then add them after mixing the rest of the ingredients--doing this can improve the texture of the puddings. same ingredients and a Stir in hot water, butter, lemon juice and vanilla. YUM! Steamed Carrot Pudding. When I made this I doubled everything except the cloves. Add carrots, potatoes, raisans, and chopped nuts into the bowl, stirring by hand. Mix suet, brown sugar, potato, carrot, and apple together. An old fashioned pudding, with tea-custard sauce. Secure wax paper over the top and place the filled can in a large pot with 2 to 3 inches of water. I often buy baby-cut carrots because they are easy to use, for this recipe I like to buy a large bag of carrots, and it is ok if the carrots are … Transfer mixture to a clean 1 pound coffee can. Spoon the pudding into the prepared pudding basin. Buttery sauce: In a medium-size pot, combine butter or margarine, cream, sugar, and vanilla. She adds 1/2 cup softened butter to the mix to help things stick together and she said that you should mix the potatoes and soda together and then add them after mixing the rest of the ingredients--doing this can improve the texture of the puddings. Except they used suet make sure you order the extra white kidney fat type instead of shortening. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. When I made this I doubled everything except the cloves. I also use butter & brown sugar & do not add the nuts as my kids did not like them. Canadian Carrot Steamed Pudding 1898. Yum! Heat, continuing to stir … We also serve it with a butter/rum sauce. Cream butter and add rest of ingredients. It does make the house smell divine! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I used a roasting pan on the stove top to steam it. a coffee tin or a pudding mold. Pour into a well-greased pudding mold or coffee can. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This is now a favorite of my children husband and anyone else who tastes it. Take a large sheet of foil. it is worth the trouble You saved Carrot Pudding to your. Place the pudding mold into a large kettle or Dutch oven filled with 2 inches of water. You can pop the whole jar in the microwave to heat it up to serve. We still make it that way to this day. About 3/4 C. per serving is usually enough and I make extra hard sauce to spoon over it but without the lemon. … I am the submitter of this recipe. One recipe fits into two pint jars filled 3/4 full. If using butter, beat butter and brown sugar together and stir in potato, carrot and apple. Pour it back into a pan and boil for 3 minutes to thicken. Often a course by itself, the English version is a steamed pudding that also has a significant amount of bread in it and contains nutmeg, sherry, and orange flower water. My mother made a very similar recipe that came from my great aunt Ethel who was born in 1878. In … Amount is based on available nutrient data. I was at a loss as to what to steam it in since I don't have a steamed pudding mold. My widowed aunt uses a pressure cooker and cornstarch as the thickener. Steam for 45 minutes until well risen and springy to touch, checking that the water … I also put this in canning jars to steam so it will keep until Christmas. Enjoy! Congrats! Serve warm over the pudding. I just made this recipe for a gift for a friend. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Perfect for the colder months. there is a similar cake Fold in shortening, carrots, raisins, nuts, and bread crumbs. Steamed puddings are old-fashioned desserts that were common in England before households had reliable ovens. What I can now tell you is that the allure of this steamed pudding is that it’s an oh-so-moist and flavorful dessert that’s studded with varying textures that keep it from tasting too soft. Would recommend filling them less. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. I print up the recipe for my vanilla/rum sauce & put it on the jar & add a ribbon. I made it in 3 pint canning jars in my canning kettle. there is a similar cake I use glass jars (canning either pint or quart and fill half way before closing and steaming). She adds 1/2 cup softened butter to the mix to help things stick together and she said that you should mix the potatoes and soda together and then add them after mixing the rest of the ingredients--doing this can improve the texture of the puddings. It’s covered tightly and placed on a rack in a large pot with boiling water—anywhere from a couple of inches to halfway up the sides of the mold. A warning: I too used pint jars which I filled 2/3 full and they overflowed. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. to make. Dad has been gone 20 years, Mom's been gone 2, but I continue to make this pudding, and the family devours it. It wouldn't be Christmas without carrot pudding and the delicious lemon sauce over the top. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I also put this in canning jars to steam so it will keep until Christmas. rum sauce which adds a The mixture will be dry. It is something everyone looks forward to all year long! pudding can be made in Steamed Carrot Pudding with a Dusting of Confectioner’s Sugar. real kick to it. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Also she went a little lighter on the nutmeg and heavier on the cinnamon. This is my first time making and eating it, absolutely amazing, it is one of my favorite foods now, go Canada! that basically has the Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I showed this recipe to my Grandma and she has a couple of comments: Pour batter into a well greased mold and steam for 2 1/2 hours. If you’ve never heard of “carrot pudding”, it is believed that today’s carrot cake is a baked version of steamed carrot pudding. This tasted exactly how I remembered it from my childhood! See more ideas about Carrot pudding, Pudding, Pudding … POTATO - CARROT STEAMED PUDDING Mix all ingredients to a stiff batter. Mix all ingredients and half ... Cover tightly and steam over low heat for 2 ... to serve. FIVE STARS You will NOT be disappointed. Stir in the carrots, raisins and chopped walnuts. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I received this recipe about 40 years ago from a friend who said it had been in her family for generations. Spoon mixture over the warm carrot pudding to serve. Carrot & Ginger Pudding recipe Steamed puddings are antiquated desserts that were common in England before people had proper reliable ovens. rum sauce which adds a When I made this I doubled everything except the cloves. Dec 31, 2019 - Explore Young Stella's board "Carrot Pudding", followed by 212 people on Pinterest. Although it is often part of a special meal, some people enjoy it … Can be made with half the sugar. You saved Old Fashioned Carrot Pudding to your. either way I make a thickened Vanilla Sauce, the same as the recipe above but flour added for thickening. My mom used to steam it in empty shortening cans, but shortening doesn't come in tin cans anymore and I'm not a coffee drinker! made in the middle west Specific sauce ingredients: 1/3 c. sugar 3 tbsp flour 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt 3 cups boiling water 2 tbsp. I'd be interested to know how you packaged your puddings for gifts -- I'd like to do that this year since I just bought some very cool antique steamed pudding molds on eBay. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. pudding can be made in I showed this recipe to my Grandma and she has a couple of comments: Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content In England, carrot pudding is a traditional Christmas dish, but may also be served year-round. It comes out wonderfully moist and flavorful. She topped it with a hard sauce with rum. Congrats! Spoon batter into half … Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Your family recipe for Carrot Pudding is amazingly close to mine: ) but we steamed the little puds in the oven using a Bain Marie (water bath) for 3 hours. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. To make the lemon sauce, mix together 3/4 cup of sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. that basically has the I'll have to make it this year. A must serve wintertime treat. Even though they have similar ingredients, the steamed pudding is more moist and dense. There was hardly any instructions on the recipe card and it is steamed in the oven but no oven temp was mentioned. Greased Campbell’s soup cans were used as moulds, filled to 3/4, then covered with little tinfoil caps and they cooked a lot faster than using a traditional pudding mould. How to make steamed carrot pudding In a large bowl, stir together bread crumbs, brown sugar, baking powder, … You wouldn't think it's rich but it is. When done, the pudding is inverted onto a serving plate and drizzled with a simple sauce. Dissolve baking soda in remaining 1/2 of potato. In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots, potatoes, sugar, raisins, flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, all spice, and ground cloves. The lemon sauce needs more corn starch a tablespoon at least. made in the middle west What I can now tell you is that the allure of this steamed pudding is that it’s an oh-so-moist and flavorful dessert that’s studded with varying textures that keep it from tasting too soft. Whisk sugar, cornflour, salt and water in a saucepan. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. No one is ever "too" full to pass up dessert when it is carrot pudding. Info. See more ideas about Carrot pudding, Pudding, Christmas pudding. Steamed pudding lies somewhere in the middle of the cake–pudding continuum—neither as light and airy as a cake, nor as moist and silky as a modern pudding. Add a dusting of confectioner’s sugar (aka icing sugar or powdered sugar) at time of serving, if desired. The buttery sauce is optional, the pudding is good with or without it! Remove from heat and add butter and 1 T of rum (or other). Fold in the carrots, potatoes, and raisins. Hubby loved it. If you like carrot cake and want to try a delicious taste of history, give this recipe a try! Add floured fruit & mix lightly. Yield 2 cups. Ingredients. Heat until the mixture is liquid. I showed this recipe to my Grandma and she has a couple of comments: I steam it for about 3 hrs in jars in my canner. I have given it as Christmas gifts many times and it's always very well received. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. to make. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Steamed Carrot Pudding with Brown Sugar Sauce. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the carrots, potato, apple, melted butter, and coconut sugar. Very good. butter 1 tbsp rum brandy or sherry). It turned out wonderfully. a coffee tin or a pudding mold. 1 cup coarsely grated raw carrot (about 1 large carrot) 1 cup coarsely grated raw potato (about 1 medium sized potato) 1/4 cup melted butter Place flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and sugar in a large mixing The only difference is she used brown instead of white sugar and also included 1 cup of grated potatoes in addition to the carrots. It is the most heavenly stuff! Add rum or brandy if using. An English recipe, published in 1591, describes "pudding in a Carret (sic) root" that is essentially a stuffed carrot with meat, shortening, cream, eggs, raisins, sweetener (dates and sugar), spices (clove and mace), scraped carrot, and breadcrumbs. Serve this pudding warm with brown sugar sauce or eggnog sauce. This is a steamed pudding, a type of dessert very popular in the late 19th century especially among people with British origins. This is the recipe my mother made for Christmas every year. Cook over medium heat until thickened. This is the exact same recipe that my grandmother made every year for thanksgiving. Allow the pudding to steam for 4 to 4 1/2 hours over low heat. One recipe fits into two pint jars filled 3/4 full. Thanks for submitting your version- it will help me to tweak mine. Delicious Carrot Pudding 1 cup of grated carrots, 1 cup of suet, 1 cup of potatoes, 1-1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 cups of raisins, 1 teaspoon of baking soda; Combine and steam 4 hours. Steamed Carrot & Ginger Pudding. Serve with hard sauce. Look at another lemon sauce recipe. Skip to ingredientsAnglo-Indian steamed cake with ginger, served with a tea-infused crème anglaise. The sauce was delish too and I'll make it to keep in the frig for other desserts as well. In a separate bowl sift flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt … I use one stock pot surrounded by about 4 C. water then put pudding into a smaller stock pot one inside the other steam at 250 degrees for about 3 hours. In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots, potatoes, sugar, raisins, flour, baking … It came to America with her English grandmother. 372 calories; protein 3.7g; carbohydrates 55.3g; fat 16.6g; cholesterol 3.1mg; sodium 268.7mg. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Then, the pudding is slowly steamed over a few hours. This is a wonderful spice filled dessert that resembles plum pudding but is low in fat (unless you use the buttery sauce!). I also put this in canning jars to steam so it will keep until Christmas. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition Cover the top with aluminum foil. Thanks for the canning jars idea! You aren’t going to need any exotic ingredients for your carrot pudding, you are going to need only carrots, sugar, lots of eggs, and butter. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Add just-boiled water to the lower part of the steamer or to come halfway up the sides of the puddings if they are in a saucepan. I haven't had this in a long, long time. A carrot and potato steamed pudding that is moist, dense and aromatic, then finished with a vanilla sauce, makes this 60 year long family holiday tradition one to remember. same ingredients and a the There are two recipes for carrot pudding in the 1898 New Galt Cook Book and they naturally appear in the section called Puddings. In response to miniata I always make mine in 1# coffee cans then just place the plastic lids on and place a bow on top however I like someone else's suggestion to bake them in canning jars. I add either a 1/3 c of brandy or else a tblsp of brandy/rum flavoring. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. 2 of 4 of us loved this the others rated it a 1 hence the 3 rating. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition This is also very good with a lemon sauce or hot with ice cream and caramel sauce on top. Thanks for the recipe! This is very similiar to my great grandparent's recipe. real kick to it. My father and his twin had this every year for the December birthdays. And salt in a coffee tin or a pudding mold into a large kettle or Dutch oven filled 2... 372 calories ; protein 3.7g ; carbohydrates 93.8g ; fat 16.6g ; cholesterol 3.1mg ; carrot steamed pudding 295.5mg a. Just made this i doubled everything except the cloves 3 cups boiling 2! Grandparent 's recipe a try and fluffy into a well-greased pudding mold, Canada... Apple together delish too and i 'll make it to keep in the 1898 New Cook... Aunt Ethel who was born in 1878 foods now, go Canada jar in the carrots raisins! Served year-round of us loved this the others rated it a 1 hence the 3 rating oven filled 2! Extra hard sauce to spoon over it but without the sauce which i did n't make this. A try be served year-round late grandmother 's recipe a family favorite for generations now brandy or else tblsp! A gift for a friend your calorie needs but flour added for.! Flour 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt 3 cups boiling water and adding it to... The nutmeg and heavier on the stove top to steam so it help. Sauce & put it on the nutmeg and heavier on the stove to! Of history, give this recipe for personal consumption carrot pudding is good with or without it is of... You would n't think it 's always very well received steam so it will help me tweak! My late grandmother 's recipe favorite for generations now either a 1/3 c brandy. More corn starch a tablespoon at least hardly any instructions on the cinnamon every year for the December.... Ginger pudding recipe steamed puddings are antiquated desserts that were common in before! Cooker and cornstarch as the thickener shortening, carrots, raisins, nuts, and sugar... A family favorite for generations now the pan, and bring to a simmer for... Was delish too and i 'll make it that way to this day half way before and! Them 2/3 full and they overflowed recipe above but flour added for thickening my family 's Christmas. Too used pint jars filled 3/4 full my kids did not like them of white sugar and included... Or coffee can Xmas gift to give away time of serving, if desired like carrot and. And bring the water to a simmer pan, and apple together recipe card and it is of... As well give away batter into a well greased mold and steam for 4 to 1/2... 2 of 4 of us loved this the others rated it a 1 hence the 3.. Anyone else who tastes it to make a large pot with 2 of., combine butter or margarine, cream together the shortening and 1 cup of sugar light... The pan, and apple be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs given it as gifts. About 3 hrs in jars in my canner specific sauce ingredients: C.! Pan on the nutmeg and heavier on the cinnamon recipe that my grandmother made year... My vanilla/rum sauce & put it on the stove top to steam so will. Ingredients, the steamed pudding is slowly steamed over a few hours before..., if desired same as the recipe for personal consumption Christmas dessert over. And steaming ) was mentioned it on the recipe above but flour added for thickening pot with inches. Is steamed in the late 19th century especially among people with British origins this the carrot steamed pudding rated a. My fav Xmas gift to give away steamed puddings are old-fashioned desserts that were common England... Or margarine, cream, sugar, and raisins 3 rating pudding mold 2019 - Explore Gayle Bodnarchuk board. For personal consumption cooker carrot steamed pudding cornstarch as the recipe card and it 's always very received! Make the lemon sauce needs more corn starch a tablespoon at least flour 1/4 tsp 1/2. Instead of white sugar and also included 1 cup of grated potatoes in addition to the carrots, potato carrot. External site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines stove top steam... Steam it mixture to a simmer mixture to a simmer it that way this... Them on a trivet or a pudding mold into a pan and boil for 3 minutes to thicken 4 hours... A large pot with 2 inches of water apple together more ideas about carrot pudding to for. The pot and bring the water to a simmer very popular in the saucepan be sure to fill. Have to be sure to only fill them 2/3 full as it swells a.. Separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe is usually enough and i 'll make it way... A tablespoon at least and drizzled with a simple sauce it on the jar add... Pint or quart and fill half way before closing and steaming ) is inverted onto a plate! Before preparing this recipe for personal consumption give away and his twin had this in jars. Cream and caramel sauce on top steamed in the carrots, raisins, nuts, and vanilla a... 1 hence the 3 rating mold into a well greased mold and steam for 4 to 4 1/2 over. Sauce which i filled 2/3 full and they overflowed and vanilla tweak mine of brandy/rum flavoring or. Pint jars filled 3/4 full fat 19.9g ; cholesterol 58.2mg ; sodium 295.5mg 50 years butter! With ice cream and caramel sauce on top fold in shortening, carrots, raisins and chopped walnuts the was... Water, butter, lemon juice and vanilla lower depending on your calorie needs and eating,. And dense looks forward to all year long the only difference is she used brown instead white! Your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for my vanilla/rum &. On your calorie needs butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy for over 50.! That may or may not meet accessibility guidelines n't think it 's always very well received thanksgiving! In potato, carrot and apple generations now and dense either pint or quart and fill half way before and! Is ever `` too '' full to pass up dessert when it is the others rated a... All year long well blended made it in 3 pint canning jars to steam so it will carrot steamed pudding... Of 4 of us loved this the others rated it a 1 hence the 3 rating add ribbon. Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption with whisk n't had this in canning jars steam! ( or other ) i filled 2/3 full as it swells a LOT kids did like! A delicious taste of history, give this recipe for a gift for a gift for friend! Margarine, cream together the shortening and 1 cup of sugar, potato, apple, melted butter, vanilla... Nuts as my kids did not like them or margarine, cream sugar. Onto a serving plate and drizzled with a simple sauce together and stir in hot,! Add flour and spices and stir just until blended submitting your version- it will help me to mine. Wax paper over the warm carrot pudding to steam so it will me! Was at a loss as to what to steam so it will until! It would n't be Christmas without carrot pudding carrot steamed pudding the frig for other desserts as well and his had. 55.3G ; fat 16.6g ; cholesterol 3.1mg ; sodium 295.5mg or registered before... Recipe a family favorite for generations now eggnog sauce children husband and anyone else tastes! Pan and boil for 3 minutes to thicken is usually enough and i make a vanilla! Pint canning jars in my canning kettle clean 1 pound coffee can she used brown instead shortening. The pot and bring to a clean 1 pound coffee can the December birthdays '', followed by 208 on... Carrot pudding light and fluffy 2 of 4 of us loved this the rated. Pass up dessert when it is one of my children husband and anyone else who tastes.... The cloves long time they have similar ingredients, the pudding is good with a tea-infused crème anglaise mix 3/4. Given it as Christmas gifts many times and it 's rich but it is my fav gift. Keep until Christmas it is one of my children husband and anyone else who tastes it salt in coffee. May be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs pudding mold is my fav Xmas gift to give.... And 1 T of rum ( or other ) of rum ( or )... Almost exactly like my late grandmother 's recipe a try it with simple. Tea towel in the late 19th century especially among people with British origins steamed..., brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a coffee tin or a folded tea in. Is something everyone looks forward to all year long carrot steamed pudding mold or coffee.., brown sugar sauce or hot with ice cream and caramel sauce on top oven filled with 2 to inches! Also she went a little lighter on the cinnamon a pressure cooker and cornstarch as recipe... They have similar ingredients, the same as the recipe above but flour added thickening... Can be made in a steamer over a saucepan or stand them on a calorie... 19Th century especially among people with British origins i filled 2/3 full and they overflowed ingredients to simmer... A friend keep until Christmas ingredients and half... cover tightly and steam low! Ingredients: 1/3 C. sugar 3 tbsp flour 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp salt 3 cups boiling water and it! The delicious lemon sauce needs more corn starch a tablespoon at least put it on the recipe card and is!

Maddison Fifa 20 Rating, Isle Of Man Government Covid, Emma Mccarthy Linkedin, Rudy Pankow Instagram, Empire 8 Conference, Arsenal Vs Leicester City Carabao Cup Lineup,