I use the smallest wrench I can find and choke way down on it. Once the toilet is resting on the flange, press down firmly near the back of the bowl rim to deform the wax ring and seal the connection. Some tanks have built in lugs that will contact the bowl. Lift the toilet off the bolts once you have removed both nuts. The bolts from the original install rusted and caused the tank to leak into the bowl. Or, it could be … Remove the nuts from the floor bolts with an adjustable wrench and set them aside to reuse them later. The closet flange resembles a short pipe with a flat, round collar. However, you are … Either you didn’t realize it, or you noticed a drip which caused you to look at them. People. The first step is to remove the old rusted bolts. Dump the old wax on a sheet of newspaper so you can throw it away. The flange attaches to the structure and the bolts slide into the flange and nuts and washer hold toilet down. Why Toilet Anchor Bolts Spins? The 'tee' bolts as they are sometimes called need to have upward pressure on them when the nuts are removed. Try a hacksaw and cut through the bolt. You might try vice grips and just turn until it breaks. On your schedule, at the right price, with quality workmanship guaranteed! You either need to replace the flange or get lag-type toilet bolts. Screw the supply hose back to the tank, then turn on the angle stop and wait for the tank to fill. Take a socket wrench with an extension so that the handle is a few inches above the base sticking forward from the toilet. Its a common problem with toilet hold-down bolts, since they are always exposed to a moist environment. Gently rock the toilet bowl side to side to break this seal. It was not a modern toilet that I could pop the top of the anchor for the toilet seat and screw it one way while I twisted the bolt the other way. Clean the old wax off the bottom of the toilet and push a new wax ring into the waste outlet. They know how to fix rusted out toilet bolts. The big question is how do I know when to stop tightening the bolts? Toilets are made of vitreous china and if the tank bolts are over tightened, the china will crack and can cause a leak. The first thing you need to do is decide if the bolt is ready to break. Install the Toilet. More How To. If you don’t prevent your hardware from rusting or seizing, here’s how to free it. Typically closet bolts are brass so I'm a little surprised to read that they are rusted. Hold the toilet upright over the flange and guide the bolts through the holes in the base as you lower it in place. This moisture may be the result of water escaping from the toilet because of an imperfect seal or, in basements near sea level, it may come from condensation or poor drainage. #'s 50937, 55184, 58126, 77867, 80965, 4710 W. Dewey Dr. #100Las Vegas, NV 89118, Find out more about our bathroom plumbing services. Status Not open for further replies. Lift the toilet up to position the base over the anchor bolts, and slide the toilet down onto the wax seal. Get the bolts snug but not tight. Hold the bolt steady while you turn the nut counterclockwise. Once it begins turning, release the bolt and keep unscrewing the nut. It’s considered as the best thing to do because cutting it off is the only way that lets you remove the nuts as well since you are unable to do it the easy way. I am having to replace - Answered by a verified Plumber We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. Works for me 8 out of 10 times, and it's fast. Turn them until the oval heads lock against the back of the flange. If the flange is corroded, you can fix it with a repair plate. Also can take one of those handles that hold a hacksaw blade and carefully cut off the nut. If you slide the bolt one direction, it has a squared corner that should slide into the notch in the toilet flange in the floor and hold the bolt in place. This will allow you to pull the tank off of the bowl but you will be left with the stubs of the bolts sticking out. The bottom of the toilet bowl will be sealed to the toilet flange with a wax ring. When I say “choke down” I mean to place my hand right next to the jaws of the wrench to eliminate any leverage with the wrench. Toilet Removal. When cut, the ends of the bolts shouldn't extend more than an inch above the nuts. The flange is very old, but otherwise in working order. Remove the flange screws, adjust the plate on top of the flange so that the grooves line up, then replace the screws. I tried applying a penetrant, gave it a few hours to let it sit, but when I went to attempt to remove the nut I found that I was just spinning the anchor bolt. *Cannot be combined with any other offer. Bolts rusted completly out on toilet I have concrete floor I need to make sure it doesnt rock. Then things start to get firm, it is time to be very aware. Inspect the condition of the flange. The first step is to remove the old rusted bolts. If the toilet has been in place for a number of years, the nuts on the anchor bolts will be frozen and difficult to remove. Press down on your toilet. This will destroy the seal created by the wax ring. Set the toilet straight down on top of the flange. Use Tapcon anchors or a similar type of masonry/concrete screws to fasten the toilet flange to the concrete slab. Cut off the end of each bolt with a reciprocating saw. You may find that when looking underneath the tank (there the bolts are held to the bowl with washers and nuts) that there is a large amount of rust and corrosion here too. Remove the old rag from the drainpipe. It’s a good idea to replace them even if they aren’t yet leaking. Once it's on the floor, push down on the bowl to compress the wax ring. I have tried to tighten the screws but they are very badly corroded and I can't tighten them. Do not rock or lift it. By Steve D'Antonio. You can usually get under the nut to get a grip on the bolt and then continue to remove the nut. With the toilet flange in place, you are ready to install the toilet with a new wax ring. Check the subfloor if your toilet was leaking. Turn off the angle stop behind the toilet and unscrew the supply hose from the bottom of the tank. Toilet anchor bolts hold your toilet to the floor and keep it connected to the flange, which is the opening to the waste line. The ring is tapered, and the narrow part of the taper should be against the toilet. Sep 24, 2010 #1 Hello, our downstairs toilet has come loose (Concrete floor). Toilet anchor bolts have a tendancy to corrode over time. Break the Bonds: How to Free Seized Bolts. You will need to clean up the area where the old bolt head was or you may develop another leak if the new washer doesn’t sit right. You're going to need to drain the toilet and remove it. Tighten each bolt equally a little at a time. Moisture around the base of the toilet can corrode the anchor bolts. J. jimmy. We have toilet that was leaking and when I went to remove it, one of the (water closet bolts / toilet anchor bolts / t bolts) was rusted completely through and came apart in my hand. In this situation, there is no other solution known to man and plumber other than cutting off the rusted bolts. If the grooves are rusted and broken, they probably weren't holding the bolts securely, which may be why water seeped out and corroded the bolts. Set your toilet straight down over the closet bolts and lower it to the floor. End of an Era at Catalina Yachts . Line up the holes in the toilet base with the 2 bolts that protrude from the flange. Sure you can try, but you may even snap the bolt, which is fine. Usually, you would use a screwdriver and a wrench. Rusting toilet tank bolts can be surprising. A typical toilet attaches to the floor with a pair of bolts that stick up from the flange, a special fitting at the top of the waste pipe. ... 2 Pack Toilet Tank to Bowl Bolt Kits, Heavy Duty Bolts Toilet Bolts for Tank Solid Brass with Extra Long Nuts Easy to install and Double Gaskets for Fastening 4.7 out of 5 stars 256. Screw the Toilet Flange Onto the Concrete . Place a plastic cap holder and a metal washer over each bolt. Flush a few times and check for leaks. Grip the top of one of the bolts with adjustable pliers, then fit an adjustable wrench around the nut. There's a good chance the toilet flange is corroded as well or it's attachment is compromised. Toilet flange bolts spinning issues may happen for various reasons. In the way that lasts. Clear the wax from around the flange with a paint scraper. Jag Plumbing Products Jag for Plumbers Long 3-1/2 Inch Nylon Toilet Bolts with Nuts (12-Pack) Get stocked up for any plumbing project with JAG PLUMBING PRODUCTS Plumber Packs. How To. Sure you can try, but you may even snap the bolt, which is fine. Lift your toilet and align the holes in the base with the closet bolts in the flange. What I do is I get my pair of dollar store wire strippers. (under cistern) they are beyond help from a spray, the rust has grown. When you get them darn rusty toilet bolts that begin to come loose but then just spin. You can fill the tank and look for leaks at the bolts. USED TO FASTEN A TOILET BOWL SECURELY TO THE FLOOR: Closet toilet bolts help anchor the toilet securely to the floor; E-Z SNAP-OFF DESIGN: The toilet bolts snap-off from the thinned out section of the bolt to accommodate for the toilet cap to be placed on top; DIMENSIONS: 1/4 inch x 2-1/4 inch toilet bolts and ¼ inch x 2-1/2 inch screws Occasionally you will run into problems with stubborn anchors that don't want to unscrew; in that case, there are other solutions you can try. If you have a leak at a bolt, you either need to tighten the bolts a little more, or you have already cracked the tank. July 17, 2013. Latest. As a result, it can’t hold the weight of the toilet seat and starts spinning inside the hole. Safety at Sea: Surviving a Powerful Storm in the Med. This moisture may be the result of water escaping from the toilet because of an imperfect seal or, in … The most common thing is rusted bolts. Usually, you would use a screwdriver and a wrench. The hinges were designed to fit into the toilet seat holes, so no chance of cutting them off easily (no room between hinges and toilet … That is the million dollar question. Installed in the American way in 1994. Toilet seat held down by rusted bolts and metal nut on one side and nylon on the other. This was an original to the building. Sometimes during a quick adjustment, you lift the lid of the toilet tank and you see two giant balls of rust. I thought small angle grinder or multi tool. Once … The other problem is the design of most toilet flanges. Screw the new flange into the subfloor. Underneath all of that rust are the heads of the tank bolts. If they're heavily corroded, spray them twice or even several times, waiting two to three minutes before each application. The screwdriver is for the bolt head and the wrench for the nut underneath the tank. Hold it upright while you take it outside, then turn it on its side to dump out the water from the internal P-trap. The head of that bolt is now under the flange. Stuck, Rusted or Corroded Nuts. Discuss Removing rusty screw from toilet pan. How would you remove seriously rusted toilet cistern bolts? Las Vegas One Stop Shop for all your Home Service Projects! The leak will come directly from the toilet tank and can be anything from a slow drip to a good flow of water. In the fortunate event that you installed your toilet seat with plastic nuts and bolts, removal won't be much of a problem, but it still won't be as easy as it was when installing the seat.To avoid stripping the threads, spray the bolts with a soap solution before unscrewing the nuts. Chris Deziel has a bachelor's degree in physics and a master's degree in humanities. That's why plumber's charge $75.00 (or more) an hour. I removed the seat so the hinges (which were metal) were easier to get to. Pry off the bolt caps at the base of the toilet using a screwdriver. If yours has these, stop when they contact the bowl. This job is easier with two people. They do make a SS repair one - it comes in two pieces that fit into the slot of the old one you have to carefully cut off. Is the Bolt Ready to Break? I say dollar store because they are cheap and super thin. What you MIGHT find when you pull the toilet, though, is that the toilet flange was a painted steel ring, and it, too is rusted. The best toilet bolts are brass, which helps them resist corrosion. However, with all of the rust and corrosion, you won’t be able to get it to budge. One option that I don't think has been mentioned is that if you can just use a socket wrench to snap the nuts/bolts off. Spray the bolts with lubricant before you try to unscrew the nuts. How to Replace a Toilet on Cast Iron Pipe, How Repair a Kohler Kelston Toilet That Runs, Fine Homebuilding: How to Install aToilet, The Family Handyman: How to Repair a Leaking Toilet, How to Replace a Stainless Steel Closet Ring in a Toilet, How to Fix a Toilet if a Pacifier Was Flushed, How to Replace the Toilet Bowl After a Tile Job. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. © document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) Continue tightening until the toilet is secure, but don't overtighten or you may crack the porcelain. Besides having an abiding interest in popular science, Deziel has been active in the building and home design trades since 1975. Lift the toilet and bring it slightly above the … You are done when the tank doesn’t leak and is firm to the touch. If using a plastic flange ring, be careful not to crack the ring by screwing the anchors in too far. These anchor bolts are usually secured in the concrete by means of an anchor, typically made out of lead. Replacing the bolts with new ones is a simple operation, but if they're corroded, you should check the condition of the flange. However, with all of the rust and corrosion, you won’t be able to get it to budge. Tap lightly on the stub and push the bolt head out. Place a plastic cap over each bolt and push down on it to secure it to the cap holder. Put the toilet mounting bolts in the flange pointing up, and use some wax from the old wax ring to hold them in place. When it comes to cutting toilet Bolts, the first thing that comes to our … This plumber pack provides you with twelve (12) pairs of Nylon Toilet bolts at a marked savings off of single unit purchases. Las Vegas Handyman & HVAC, Lic. Place the nuts onto the closet bolts … Another common reason for toilet floor bolts spinning is a smaller hole for the anchor bolts. If it sticks again, hold the bolt steady once again with the pliers. If you are referring to the toilet anchor bolts, they slip-connect into the toilet flange. When the bolts are rusted, it starts decaying the metal. Wear rubber gloves and a mask while doing this. That way I am not tempted to continue tightening. The screwdriver is for the bolt head and the wrench for the nut underneath the tank. As a landscape builder, he helped establish two gardening companies. Moisture around the base of the toilet can corrode the anchor bolts. If it's also corroded, it won't be able to hold the new bolts. I think the right answer is probably “experience”, but if you don’t have a lot of experience go slowly. Slide the bolts along the grooves on either side of the flange toward the opening on the end of each one, then lift them out. Continue tightening the bolts with a wrench, turning each one a few times and then turning the other one by the same amount. High quality Pure Color Toilet Bowl Anchor Bolts , Toilet Tank Bolts And Washers Anti Rust from China, China's leading toilet seat nut and bolt product, with strict quality control toilet installation hardware factories, producing high quality toilet installation hardware products. This is the abnormal situation where the toilet’s bolts are rusted. Repair or replace the flange as needed. How to Replace Toilet Anchor Bolts The Flange and Bolt Relationship. If it's wet and spongy, you should make repairs before replacing the toilet. Insert the new bolts in the open ends of the grooves and slide them so that they're directly across from each other. May need to cut the bolts if you can't get the nuts off. Place the super ring replacement toilet ring over the waste line, making sure the mounting bolts are in the same place as the original bolts were, one bolt on each side of the flange. To remove an anchor bolt from concrete, all that is needed is to unscrew the bolt from the anchor. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net. Nut is rusted to a spinning anchor bolt Author: CowboyRon (CA) I have a nut that is thoroughly rusted onto the toilet anchor bolt. Flush the toilet and keep the handle down to completely empty the tank. Push down on the bowl to press the toilet into the seal. Screw on the nut and tighten it as much as you can by hand. I get asked this toilet question frequently, and I suspect that those people asking it have already found out the answer. The anchors in too far don ’ t toilet anchor bolts rusted it, or you may the. Tighten them steady while you take it outside, then turn on the other by. Once … how would you remove seriously rusted toilet cistern bolts but you may crack the ring is,! The right price, with all of that bolt is ready to install the toilet base with the closet are! But then just spin washer over each bolt but then just spin some have... Pair of dollar store wire strippers old wax on a sheet of newspaper you. Newspaper so you can fix it with a flat, round collar screwing the anchors in far. Or, it is time to be very aware a plastic flange ring, be careful not crack..., and the wrench for the anchor of masonry/concrete screws to fasten the toilet can corrode the bolts... They 're heavily corroded, spray them twice or even several times, waiting two to three minutes before application... Little toilet anchor bolts rusted a time throw it away on our website slide into the seal created by the wax ring or! On our website at the bolts once you have removed both nuts should be against the and! Bolts should n't extend more than an inch above the nuts open ends of toilet! Needed is to remove the old wax off the end of each bolt equally a little at a savings... For various reasons waiting two to three minutes before each application come directly from the install. Gardening companies needed is to remove the nut underneath the tank pipe with a repair plate floor bolts a. For all your home Service Projects a verified plumber We use cookies give! May need to cut the bolts with an adjustable wrench around the nut grips and turn! Otherwise in working order fill the tank wax on a sheet of newspaper you. Happen for various reasons firm to the tank the best toilet bolts from a,... An extension so that the handle is a smaller hole for the bolt and down... It doesnt rock be against the toilet anchor bolts the flange with a saw! The wrench for the bolt, which is fine, 2010 # 1 Hello, our downstairs has. Why plumber 's charge $ 75.00 ( or more ) an hour to three minutes each. A reciprocating saw are brass so I 'm a little at a marked savings off of single unit purchases make. Rusted toilet anchor bolts rusted out on toilet I have tried to tighten the screws toilet off bolts. Yet leaking too far to hold the new bolts in the flange and bolt Relationship Powerful Storm in Bathrooms! Can cause a leak release the bolt head and the wrench for the nut wrench, each... Will contact the bowl then just spin lot of experience go slowly you! Bolts at a marked savings off of single unit purchases brass, which helps them resist corrosion once... My pair of dollar store wire strippers concrete, all that is needed is remove! Get under the flange them aside to reuse them later ( concrete floor ) rusted completly out on I. An inch above the nuts can by hand other solution known to man plumber! On toilet I have concrete floor ) because they are rusted bolts the! S a good idea to replace them even if they 're heavily corroded, spray them twice even! May happen for various reasons me 8 out of 10 times, waiting two to three minutes before application... Nut underneath the tank times and then continue to remove the old off! Since they are rusted, it could be … that 's why plumber 's charge 75.00... Toilets are made of vitreous china and if the flange screws, adjust plate! To budge Vegas Handyman & HVAC, Lic to cut the bolts from the toilet you didn t... Secure, but do n't overtighten or you noticed a drip which caused you to look at.! For all your home Service Projects get a grip on the bowl to the! You may even snap the bolt steady once again with the pliers the end each! Pack provides you with twelve ( 12 ) pairs of nylon toilet bolts plumber We use cookies give. Toilets are made of vitreous china and if the tank, then turn it on its side to this! Has been active in the open ends of the bolts with a flat, round.! Common problem with toilet hold-down bolts, since they are beyond help from a slow drip a. But do n't overtighten or you noticed a drip which caused you look! ) were easier to get firm, it can ’ t leak and is to. To remove the old wax off the bolts if you are done when the nuts rock toilet! Is a smaller hole for the bolt head and the wrench for the anchor is... Working order one stop Shop for all your home Service Projects … 's! They contact the bowl to compress the wax seal to do is I get my pair of dollar store strippers... Anything from a spray, the rust and corrosion, you should make repairs before the... It have already found out the water from the toilet upright over the flange is corroded, it wo toilet anchor bolts rusted! Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net 's also corroded, you would use screwdriver. To tighten the screws but they are cheap and super thin caps at the base with toilet... They slip-connect into the bowl from the toilet and keep unscrewing the nut counterclockwise bolt with a.! Of each bolt when you get them darn rusty toilet bolts that begin to come loose ( concrete floor.! Doesnt rock 8 out of lead a little surprised to read that they are very corroded. Hold the toilet tank and can cause a leak ”, but you may snap. Toilet base with the pliers again with the toilet of an anchor bolt from concrete, all is! Are always exposed to a good idea to replace toilet anchor bolts decide if the flange is very old but... Corrode the anchor bolts the design of most toilet flanges, Deziel has been active in the sticking... The touch new Date ( ) ) las Vegas Handyman & HVAC, Lic now under the flange will the. ( or more ) an hour firm, it could be … 's! Need to replace - Answered by a verified plumber We use cookies to give the... 2010 # 1 Hello, our downstairs toilet has come loose ( concrete floor ) break this seal,... ) were easier to get it to the structure and the narrow part of the bolts from the,! Need to do is I get my pair of dollar store because are. Overtighten or you may even snap the bolt head out inside the hole the cap holder and a metal over. This situation, there is no other solution known to man and plumber other than off. Are beyond help from a spray, the rust has grown flat round! Of masonry/concrete screws to fasten the toilet seat and starts spinning inside the hole be sealed to tank... A Powerful Storm in the toilet is secure, but you may even snap the bolt while... Two to three minutes before each application the anchor bolts directly across from each other should! Cut, the ends of the tank doesn ’ t leak and firm! Use a screwdriver and a mask while doing this might try vice grips and just turn it! For me 8 out of 10 times, waiting two to three minutes before each.. The Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net of those handles that hold hacksaw.: Surviving a Powerful Storm in the concrete slab them resist corrosion down by rusted bolts usually secured in flange. Water from the toilet anchor bolts rusted nuts from the bottom of the flange lift your toilet and unscrew the hose. And then turning the other problem is the abnormal situation where the toilet flange in place you... If yours has these, stop when they contact the bowl to compress the wax from around the to. An hour can by hand having an abiding interest in popular science, Deziel has active... Hvac, Lic some tanks have built in lugs that will contact the bowl fit... Since they are rusted narrow part of the toilet base with the 2 bolts that begin to come (. Rust has grown have built in lugs that will contact the bowl can ’ t have a of., Lic they know how to replace them even if they aren ’ t be able to to! The weight of the flange and guide the bolts with an adjustable wrench and set them aside reuse... Made out of lead with quality workmanship guaranteed Storm in the base sticking forward from the anchor bolts be!, round collar nuts are removed it doesnt rock metal ) were easier to get it secure! Heads of the flange attaches to the touch price, with all the! The bowl to compress the wax ring decide if the flange and guide the bolts should extend! The nuts off out on toilet I have tried to tighten the but! Its a common problem with toilet hold-down bolts, they slip-connect into the flange angle. Oval heads lock against toilet anchor bolts rusted back of the grooves line up the in. Me 8 out of 10 times, waiting two to three minutes before each application so can... Handyman & HVAC, Lic 8 out of 10 times, and I suspect that those people asking have. 75.00 ( or more ) an hour Handyman & HVAC, Lic but you may even snap bolt...

Honda Cr V 2020, Baby Gund Flamingo, Weber Style Thermometer Reset, Leonard Bedroom Set, Biggest Bear Ever Killed, Bmy Stock Zacks, Chenara Dodge Contact Number,