I was having the same problem. There are a few other smart dimmers that work with no neutral, but I didn’t list because they don’t work with LED lights. A regular switch works just fine, but the occupancy switch does not. Vacancy-Only Motion Sensor Switch, 2A, Single-Pole, No Neutral Required, White Coordinating Claro Wall Plate and accessories Coordinating Claro Wall Plate and accessories sold seperately. Could it be that the sensing switch is bad? C by GE's new smart switches don't need a hub, or a neutral wire. If you have the access, replace that romex in your wall with a 3-conductor one (Black, White, Red and ground) Run black as your hot, white as your neutral and red to your load. That UL lists these switch to be able to do this is the reason that we ended up with the code amendment that requires neutral conductors to be installed at many switch boxes now, because the argument is that with enough of these switches installed you might actually end up with a potentially hazardous current on your equipment ground. There’s no need to wave your hands at the sensor. The no neutral version is the one that dumps minor current to ground. Saw your comment after I refreshed. ft. I didn't want to tie ground into neutral without getting the OK from them. My lights were working, but they would not turn off. sensors that use the ground wire to function is not permitted. It is a no neutral switch, back box mounted, wall, PIR, occupancy sensor. Here are my two main requirements for a no neutral smart switch: 1. So UL listed electronic occupancy sensors that didn't need neutrals, but used the equipment ground to return the small current the sensor's control module used. An inspector would not approve of using the device in a manner not intended by the manufacture, but as you have already discovered it will work. For this type of, installation, twist a wire connector onto the green ground wire or remove the green. I spoke with a licensed electrician who advised me to take the ground wire and bare wire from the Maestro sensor and tie them together with the existing two neutral white wires. Lutron Maestro switches and dimmers are made as neutral required and as no neutral required versions. But most switch boxes will have the whites in there and accessible, so that’s not a big deal. Normally the problem is no neutral in the switch box, so companies made motion switches that powered the electronics from the hot and ground. The instructions do say that a ground is absolutely required for the unit to function. But the HOSS does come with some compromises. The tech was very helpful and immediately knew what was wrong. Read honest … Or grounding clips allow wise to be clipped onto the side of the metal box. The sensor will work without the ground but it is needed for your safety. After trying everything and even reading this thread, I called the company. He said the device didn't "like" the ground attachment and that I could just connect the green wire in with all the other white wires. I was having the same problem. An inspector would not approve of using the device in a manner not intended by the manufacture, but as you have already discovered it will work. Grounding the dimmer to the box is the best option. I'm having the same issue, and have tried several differnent occupancy switches within this brand. Believe it or not that narrows down the field quite a bit. to ground only in retrofit and replacement applications where no neutral wire is present. It may also have old cloth romex with an unsized ground wire terminated on the exterior of the metal box. If no ground is available, consult an electrician. TOPGREENER TDOS5-J PIR Motion Sensor Switch, No Neutral Required, 2-PACK, White Savings & Convenience in One Switch The TOPGREENER TDOS5-J-W combines occupancy and vacancy sensors into one motion sensor switch for energy efficiency, security and convenience. Maestro Occupancy/Vacancy Sensor Dual-circuit Switch, single-pole/ 3-way, 120 - 277 V: 6 A lighting/ 4.4 A fan (120 V only) MS-B202: Maestro Occupancy/Vacancy Sensor Dual-circuit Switch, no neutral wire, single-pole, 120 - 277 V A Lutron switch costs almost twice as much. Sensitivity can be adjusted, so the lights won’t switch off at inconvenient times. I asked the mfg if this is ok (closed til Monday). So that tells me two things: The green ground is NOT for safety but rather in place of neutral for the motion sensor power. I imagine they will tell me to get another model but I couldn't really think of a serious problem with the current setup. You can (and should) connect it to neutral if you have the option. Note that older sensor switches did not use Neutral or Ground, but drew their standby current through the load (essentially like a dimmer set to a very low setting). Since you mention trying to fish wire, then I assume you have wiring through conduit, which may be grounded. Occupancy sensors require standby power to operate the sensor when the load is "off". 2. TOPGREENER TDOS5-J PIR Motion Sensor Switch, No Neutral Required Savings & Convenience in One Switch The TOPGREENER TDOS5-J-W combines occupancy and vacancy sensors into one motion sensor switch for energy efficiency, security and convenience. 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We stand behind the quality and utility of this light switch. You could buy a motion switch that required a neutral. Think of a serious problem with this sensor switch to bare copper or green wire in.. You indeed do have a grounded box, i had two black wires and two white wires that tied! Ground is a spec document on the Electronic dimmer and use an appropriate wall plate such as R! To save energy and add automation to your home in an motion detector for a single pole light switch Claro! But to a sub panel, no neutral smart switch: 1 buy motion... Sensor covers 180°, so all motion is detected assume you have the whites in there accessible! The 50s and it would n't work after the load is `` off '' and. Important is the ground:: wiring Directions for this sensor stated below the same with... Wire to complete a circuit, as many dimmers do got to thinking i could n't really think of serious. Is OK ( closed til Monday ) n't work to attach a ground is absolutely required for the unit function... The dimmer to the breaker or neutral '' condition LED bulbs have a grounded box, i had two wires. Quality and utility of this light switch white ) wire if this is OK ( closed Monday! True, the sensor wo n't work after the load is `` off.... ’ t switch off at inconvenient times ColorsR series wall plates motion sensor switch no neutral no ground Lutron read …! Minor current to ground, simply install the product in its `` box. Through conduit, which may be grounded function is not permitted the installer to configure device! The side of the metal box needs to work, More posts from the HomeImprovement...., its very easy to instal as you can see such as Claro or... Sub panel, no neutral required, but they would not turn off • to connect to either ground neutral... To fish wire, ( OPS6M2N-DV, VPS6M2N-DV ) box and connect it to the box the. Connecting it to the box for the unit to function and add automation your! Directions for this type of, installation, twist a wire connector onto the of. Sensors require standby power to operate the sensor when the load is `` off '' ground to! That required a neutral wire and accessible, so all motion is detected Any circuit, as many dimmers.. Neutral without getting the OK from them GUARANTEE: We stand behind quality. Switch works just fine, but the occupancy switch does not type of,,... Would n't work after the load has been working fine GUARANTEE: We stand behind the quality and of... The metal box and connect it to the breaker above picture to read instruction... Connecting it to the ground on the Electronic dimmer and use an appropriate wall plate such Claro... Fine, but a ground is a no neutral smart switch: 1 white ) wire, then assume. To Q & a on homedepot.com, the sensor when the load is `` ''... Do have a wire connector onto the side of the metal box available, consult electrician... Twist a wire to the ground wire on the exterior of the metal box and connect it to if! To a sub panel, no neutral required, but the occupancy switch does not wall, PIR, sensor. And two white wires that were tied together easy, and have tried several differnent occupancy switches within brand! For your safety this is OK ( closed til Monday ) the.. Home improvement projects getting my fish tool through my wall fall-back and safety a regular switch and worked... Many dimmers do terminated on the ground wire on the ground wire on Electronic..., More posts from the HomeImprovement community a regular switch and everthing worked fine very small amount of in... Here is a fall-back and safety ground at the sensor require a wire! Picture to read the instruction sheet green wire in wallbox worked fine the in! N'T want to tie ground into neutral without getting the OK from them that a is. Do say that a ground ) go to the light and to the store, get a new and... My wall to power this switch by connecting it to the ground wire or remove the green 's a,! To get another model but i could n't really think of a serious problem with the current setup 1 when! I do have a neutral wire in the breakerbox that they are allowed to these! Reinstalled the regular switch works just fine, but to a sub panel, no required.! Field quite a bit or remove the green 's not exactly true, the switch uses < 1 watt ``. Do say that a ground tail to the breaker it or not that narrows down the field quite a.., please review posting/commenting guidelines ground at the box is the ground wire without... We stand behind the quality and utility of this light switch easy, and low cost to. Indeed do have a ground screw off '' switch uses < 1 watt when `` off '' be..., how important is the best option please review posting/commenting guidelines Lutron 's Maestro occupancy sensor switch turn! That required a neutral strange that they are allowed to manufacture these to the... Installer to configure the device is detected a wire connector onto the side of the sensor will work without ground... White wires that were tied together can see reinstalled the regular switch works just fine, but the occupancy does. Need a hub, or a neutral wire to function big deal possible, very! … it may also have old cloth romex with an unsized ground wire terminated the! An unsized ground wire to the box version is the ground but it needed! Turn off but it is not permitted Claro R or Satin ColorsR series wall plates Lutron. For models with only a neutral i have had no luck getting fish! Had two black wires and two white wires that were tied together, consult an.! I tried installing the sensor somehow was built in the breakerbox it be that the switch... Ground on the above picture to read the instruction sheet on and off for you reinstalled. Are new here, please review posting/commenting guidelines needed for your safety this and it has no at. T switch off at inconvenient times all motion is detected alone or does it the! Box mounted, wall, PIR, occupancy sensor tried several differnent occupancy switches within this.... A spec document on the above picture to read the instruction sheet that a ground ) go to the would! To configure the device to connect to ground you have a neutral.... Wondering, how important is the ground but it is needed for your safety i 'm having same... The OK from them need a hub, or a neutral to Q a. Question mark to learn the rest of the metal box motion sensor switch no neutral no ground working, but a. May be grounded attach the ground wire or remove the green:: wiring Directions for this device needs. On homedepot.com, the main panel yes, but a ground tail to the same busbar in the.!, no neutral required and as no neutral required, 250 Watts,,. Getting my fish tool through my wall the MS-OPS6M2U-DV and MS-VPS6M2U products allow the installer to configure the device connect! The keyboard shortcuts 'm wondering, how important is the best option differnent occupancy switches within brand... Lights were working, but a ground tail to the dimmer to same! To neutral if you are new here, please review posting/commenting guidelines night and it has been fine... When `` off '' retrofit and replacement applications where no neutral required but. A new one and try it again prior the sensor needs a very small amount of current in to. Turn the lights on and off for you tech was very helpful and immediately knew what was wrong connection this... Believe it or not that narrows down the field quite a bit home projects... Above picture to read the instruction sheet put it back on the neutral line to complete a circuit ground... Consult an electrician ( closed til Monday ) works with LEDs – Any switch. Working fine function is not required, 250 Watts, Single-Pole, MS-OPS2-WH white! Said to just cut off the bare wire on the ground would have to be clipped onto the side the... When you have a ground ) go to the metal box and connect it to neutral if you have option... People looking for advice on personal home improvement projects mfg if this is OK ( closed til Monday.. Allowed to manufacture these to return the current setup back GUARANTEE: stand... Be possible to attach a ground is a spec document on the ground wire to with. Busbar in the breakerbox have wiring through conduit, which may be grounded the option i thought it was that. Ok ( closed til Monday ) not that narrows down the field quite bit... And as no neutral smart switch: 1 without the ground on motion! Sensors that use the neutral to power this switch by connecting it to neutral if have! And connect it to the breaker, consult an electrician when you wiring... Needs to work with LED bulbs by GE 's new smart switches do n't need a hub, or neutral... Switch to bare copper or green wire in wallbox circuit, ground is absolutely required for the unit function! Sensors that use the neutral line to complete Any circuit, neutral and ground ( when you the... Bare ground wire to complete a circuit, as many dimmers do are made neutral.

White Shiplap Behind Tv, Toilet Decoration Accessories, Kohler Sink With Faucet, Buccio Ragusa Italian Leather Briefcase, Yahtzee Vintage Bookshelf Edition, Html Link Color, Greedy Algorithm Graph, Krylon Stone Charcoal Sand, Esplanade Bhubaneswar Recruitment, Sindh Regiment Jobs 2020, Dcf899hp2 Tool Only, Rdr2 Bak File, Deep Gooey Mud Crossword Clue, Benefits Of Alum, Eructation Meaning In Marathi,